T he conservatoire of Kiev was solemnly opened on November
15th 1913. This event marked the birth of higher musical
education in Ukraine and was the turning point in the development of
national musical culture. The conservatoire was established on the
same basis as the city musical college which opened in 1868 with
such famous teachers as O. Sevcik, C. Everardi, O. Khimichenko.
First among the prominent musicians who advanced an opinion
in 1880 concerning the education levels in Kiev, and of the highest
criteria of the conservatoire type of education was Anton Rubinstein.
In addition, he granted the college essential financial help, donating
half of the profits of his concert for the purchase of two Becker
concert pianos. The idea of opening the conservatoire in Kiev
was also supported by Tchaikovsky, Taneyev, Rachmaninoff, and
Glazounov. Immediate participation in the realization of this idea
involved the Director of the college, V. Pukhalsky, the prominent
conductor A. Vinogradsky, and the well-known maecenas of Kiev,
In 1919 the Kiev conservatoire became a State high school.
Among the co-founders were such prominent personalities as
R. Gliere, L. Revucky, B. Liatoshinsky, V. Pukhalsky, G. Beklemishev,
H. Neuhaus, O. Peperling, M. Erdenko, F. Blumenfeld, N. Malko,
V. Dranishnikov, N. Rakhlin, and B. Yavorsky.
In 1995 the conservatoire gained the status of the P. Tchaikovsky
National Academy of Music of Ukraine.
Now there are about 100 students from 23 countries in Europe,
Northern (Canada) and Latin Americas, Asia (Middle and Far East),
and Africa. The Academy maintains ties with a number of cultural
centres and musical institutes abroad; it is also a member of the
European Association of Conservatories, Academies and Colleges of