The Mikhail Glinka State Conservatoire of Nizhny Novgorod (until
1991 known as the city of Gorky) was established in 1946 as
one of the most authoritative artistic culture centres in Russia.
In 1957 the Gorky Conservatoire was named after Mikhail Glinka.
In 1960 the German company of Alexander Schuke Orgelbau,
Potsdam installed an organ in the Grand concert hall. In the Sixties
the conservatoire opened postgraduate studies for musicologists
and created positions for junior members of teaching staff and for
students (performers) on special courses not leading to degree
certificates. Since 1962 the Gorky Conservatoire has taken an
active part in modern music festivals, e.g. the monographic festival
dedicated to Shostakovich in 1964.
From 1972–1993 the conservatoire was led by the well-known
composer and People’s Artist of Russia A. Nesterov. During
that period the composer department was extended, the serious
musicologist school was founded, and the collections of scientific
works were published. For the first time in the Soviet Union, the
works of Alfred Schnittke, and the soulful music of Rachmaninoff,
Chesnokov, Kastalsky and others were performed here.
In the Nineties the Conservatoire gained international recognition
and wide ties of friendship with foreign countries were established.
The conservatoire accepts students from Japan, Syria, Denmark,
France, the USA, PRC, and Jamaica.