Two distinct establishments chairedthe birth of the Academy of Paris:
the Royal School of Song and Declamation (founded on January
3, 1783 to provide Opera) and the School of Municipal Music (founded
in 1792 to train the instrumentalists of the Music of the Natio nal Guard).
The council school was made official on November 8, 1793, when
a national convention approved the creation źin the Commune of Paris╗
of a national Institute of Music, allocating a regular budget and musical
instruments. On 3 August 1795, a law was passed establishing the
Academy of Music and superseding the former schools. The Academy
was managed by a directory (Gossec, Mehul, Cherubini) and directed by
Bernard Sarrette, the so-called źpolice chief charged with organization╗.
The conservatorie offered a heavily instrumental training program
(winds especially, and some harpsichord classes). In addition to the training
of the musicians, the Academy had the role of conceiving methodology for
instruction in each discipline and the training of the future members of the
Opera Comique, the Theatre-Italian and the Comedie-Francaise.
In 1806, Francois-Antoine Habeneck created the student orchestra,
which performed through 1815, giving a number of performances, including
the French premier performances of several Beethoven symphonies.
Perceived as a product of the Revolution, the Academy was officially
closed under the Restoration (1816). Renamed the Royal School of Music
and Declamation, the establishment was later reinstated. It was named the
Academy of Music in 1822.
It is quite impossible to list all the prominent professors of the
Academy among whom are: Fromantal Halevy, Pierre Baillot, Gilbert
Duprez and Laure Cinti-Damoreau, Henri Herz, Antoine Marmontel, Louise
Farrenc, Cesar Franck, Charles-Marie Widor, Alexandre Guilmant, Louis
Diemer, Edouard Risler, Raoul Pugno, Martin, Gabriel Faure, Maurice
Vieux, Maurice Marechal, Charles Tournemire and Marcel Dupre, Alfred
Cortot and Marguerite Long and many others.