Òhe Academy of Music in Warsaw is the oldest and largest school
of music in Poland and one of the oldest in Europe. It has inherited
a nearly two hundred-year old tradition of public music teaching in
Warsaw. Historically, the Academy’s most memorable date is the year
1810, when Frederic Chopin, patron of the Academy, was born. It was
the same year that the School of Drama meant for actors and singers of
the National Theatre was founded. The school was transformed into a
college of music under J?zef Elsner — a well-known composer, conductor
Between 1826 and 1829 Frederic Chopin studied at the Main School of
Music as it was then known.
The school underwent numerous inevitable changes closely linked
with the history of the country and the city. In 1962 the school was granted
full academic status and the right to confer M.A. diplomas in all disciplines
of music. In 1979 the school took on the name of its patron becoming the
Frederic Chopin Academy of Music.
The school is proud of its outstanding alumni. Among them are Frederic
Chopin, Mikalojus Ciurlionis, Wanda Landowska, Witold Lutoslawski,
Zygmunt Noskowski, Ignacy Jan Paderewski and many others.
In 1927 Professor Jerzy Zurawlew initiated International Chopin Competitions.
There are more international music competitions in the Academy
today. The Academy is a member of the European Association of
Conservatories, Academies and High Schools of Music (AECAM) and
since 1992 it has been a member of the European League of Institutions
of Arts (ELIA).