The Saratov Conservatoire was the third musical high school
in pre-revolutionary Russia after those in St. Petersburg
and Moscow. The city of Saratov is respected as well-equipped
and educated among the cities on the Volga River. In 1873 it had
already opened so-called musical classes, later re-organized to
become a musical institute, the base for the future conservatoire.
The ôSaratovskii listokö, the cityĺs newspaper, described the event in
the following terms: ôThe first Russian conservatoire was opened in
St. Petersburg in 1862. In the provinces, the honour to be the first
was granted to Saratov department. September 10th this year (1912)
may be regarded as the birthday of our conservatoire. It has 600
students, the pedagogical staff consists of 8 professors and 7 senior
Officially the Saratov Conservatoire was opened on October 21st 1912
in a building designed by St. Petersburg architect A. Jagn for the musical
institution ten years previously. After reconstruction in 1912 it becomes a
distinctive architectural symbol of the city.
Among the first lecturers we could mention are the names of the
first director, famous cellist S. Kozolupov; M. Medvedev, the first
Lensky in Tchaikovskyĺs ôEugen Oneginö; and A. Paschalova, the
famous operatic singer. Among the first performers who appeared on
the stage of the Grand (now Oktiabrskii) Hall are Feodor Chaliapin,
Leonid Sobinov, Antonina Nezhdanova, and Sergei Rachmaninoff,
Alexander Scriabin et al.